SUSTAV SANITETSKO-HIGIJENSKOZDRAVSTVENE ZAŠTITE NA ŽELJEZNICI U HRVATSKOJ OD 1945. DO 1953.
This paper describes the system of medical hygiene and health care adopted by the Croatian section of Yugoslav Railways in the aftermath of World War Two until 1953, based on archival information. In 1945, the human resources section of the Railway Administration in Zagreb included the Department of Social Welfare with offices that managed health insurance in cases of illness and accidents, workers’ pension fund, and sanitary care.. On 19 June 1947, the regional railway executive board established a medical section within the so called Secretariat and appointed Dr Marijan Derkos as its head. On 3 July 1948, central and regional healthcare offices for traffic staff were established to manage and oversee the activities of health institutions providing services for railway workers. The seat of the regional office in Zagreb was in Grgurova street. After the dismantlement of the central healthcare office in charge of railway health institutions in 1953, regional boards established new institutions, that were now self-financed.
Key words: Medical-hygienic-health protection; railways; medical section; the administration of the health service; Croatia; 20th century.